Shutterfly Card

5x7 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Scripture Memorization


I am currently reading "A Call To Die" by David Nasser with my accountability partner/best friend. It is a book/journal focusing on what it means to live for Christ by daily dying to self. It has had an amazing impact on my spiritual growth. We have been doing 3-4 chapters each week and then discussing their impact on us. Great conversation and wisdom has been sparked by this 40 chapter journey! I think that any Christian new or old should have to read this book at least once in their lifetime.

Part of each chapter is scripture memorization. This is something that I struggle with greatly. I have for my entire life as a Christian. Tonight my husband (who is also reading this book with his accountability partner) rattled off all of the scripture verses that we were supposed to have memorized. I am only able to remember 2 of them and one is John 3:16 so that doesn't actually count since there are many 3 year-olds out there that can recite it. I am really feeling beaten by this. I need some motivation and urging by the Holy Spirit to complete this before I finish the book (only 3 more chapters after this week!).

I can honestly say that I do not remember anything ever, however, I can also honestly say that I have not tried very hard either. Please pray for me as I try to memorize and marinate in these verses. I don't just want to say I have memorized them, I also want to be able to say that I have applied them.

For anyone else that struggles with this, I am ending this post with David Nasser's guide to memorizing scripture.

http://davidnasser.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html#3827345472871015280

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree! This book is such a wonderful book to push you to grow in your faith. I hope we can hold each other up in this area of application. It will be worth the work!

Heather

Mama K. said...

I have John 3:16, Isaiah 26:8, Galatians 2:20 and John 14:6 done...there are many more to go...

Mama K. said...

Add Psalms 56:3-4 as done!

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. I trust in God, whose word I praise. In God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"