Shutterfly Card

5x7 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

11 Qualities of a Proverbs 31 Woman - Quality 6: Unselfish

"She puts her hands to the distaff,and her hands hold the spindle.
She opens her hand to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:19-20


Well, it has been a while since I have written on my blog...why you ask??? Just look at the title of this posting and those of you who know me best understand. I am described as many things by my family and friends. Unselfish has never been a term used in the same sentence as my name. That is actually a hard pill to swallow for me. I am able to overcome many things that are wrong with my character. This is the hardest.

After reading the above verse, I thought to myself "I am not that bad. I always try to help those in need". I believe that this is a deeper calling than donating clothing to Goodwill or food to the food bank. I think that this really points to giving up something that is of value for some cause greater than yourself. It is bigger than a 50 cent can of ravioli or a tattered shirt. It is giving of my time (which is precious), giving away my good clothes, having someone over for a dinner, listening to problems of others without complaint, and using my "free time" for spiritual growth.

I often find myself complaining when I am needed by someone for a task that is not of my liking. I don't want to do laundry, I want to read a book instead. This principle is calling me to do for others and not for myself.

I need to put away my pride and put my own interests aside. I need to learn to give when I am asked and also when I am not asked. I need to share my time with others without complaint. I really am a great listener and I love to help people with their problems. I need to put those strengths to work and listen to God's commands to help those in need selflessly.

No comments: