Shutterfly Card

5x7 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Oliver Lytle Girdwood - 3 years later

Well, I have been in a funk for a few days. Low and behold I look on the calendar and see a reason. One reason is that my calendar is packed full of things to do and places to go. Another reason is I am so caught up in the busyness that I didn't notice that Grandad G. has been gone from this world for 3 years as of today.

How could it possibly be 3 years already? In some ways it is as fresh as if it were yesterday, in others it seems like a lifetime since I last saw his wry grin on his face and heard his teasing quips.

A lot has happened in 3 years in our family and the world in general. We have added 5 great-grandchildren to his brood (if I have missed one or two, please forgive me). His last living sibling has passed away. Aunt Jane has moved out of Concordia. We have elected a new president (I can see him yelling at the TV now about how liberal the media has been, how the democrats are ruining society, etc). The economy has soured. We are losing ground as the number 1 nation in the world.

All I have to say is that if Grandad were still with us, he would have a solution to fix the economy, deal with our immoral society, and make this country better than before. You better believe he would be willing to tell you all about it for hours too. We could use that kind of leadership right now. He was a strong Christian man and his beliefs never wavered to go along with society or the latest trends.

I know I will see him again someday and I can't wait to hear whether or not he has approved of how I've lived my life, raised my family, and if the food in heaven is better than just "okay".

Thank you grandad for giving me strong male role model to look up to. You will never be forgotten and will always be my hero. I miss you terribly, but there is no need to mourn you since you are now healed and unbroken. Praise the Lord!

I love you and will see you again.

I will leave you with one of Ollie's favorite songs.

No comments: